A New York appeals court on Tuesday dismissed claims against Ivanka Trump in the attorney general’s $250 million lawsuit against the former president, his oldest children and his company.
In a five-page ruling, a five-judge panel of the State Appellate Division ruled that New York Attorney General Letitia James’s claims against Ivanka Trump were “barred” and that she should be dismissed as a defendant in the case.
“The allegations against Defendant Ivanka Trump do not support any claim that arose after February 6, 2016. Thus, all claims against her should have been dismissed as untimely,” the ruling said.
- Advertisement -
The judges also limited the time frame of claims against the other defendants in the case, excluding claims before mid-2016 in some cases or before early 2014 in others — but they upheld a lower court ruling denying Trump’s motion to case was dismissed. case.
The attorney general filed her sweeping lawsuit last year against Trump, his three oldest children, Don Jr., Ivanka and Eric, and the company after years of investigating the company’s business practices.
The lawsuit alleges that from 2011 to 2021, the Trumps inflated their value in financial statements to banks and insurers into billions of dollars, allowing them to obtain loans and deals they were not entitled to.
Trump has denied any wrongdoing and has accused James, a Democrat, of conducting a politically motivated “witch hunt” against him.
Trump attorney Chris Kise said in a statement that Tuesday’s ruling was “the first step toward ending a case that should never have been brought” and “will now appropriately limit the attorney general’s previously unrestricted reach.” .
- Advertisement -
Going forward, we remain convinced that once all the real facts are known, there will be no doubt that President Trump has built an extraordinarily successful business empire and has simply done nothing but generate huge profits for the financial institutions involved. at the transactions in question in the process,” Kise continued.
An attorney for Ivanka Trump and the attorney general’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
The case will go to court in October.