The two people who guaranteed George Santos’ bail will publicly disclose their names, a federal judge ruled Tuesday when she rejected the indicted U.S. Representative’s claim that disclosure could threaten the security of the bailiffs.
U.S. District Judge Joanna Seybert in Central Islip, New York, said the names will be made public at noon ET on Thursday.
The judge said Santos could try to change the terms of his release in the meantime if his bail bondsmen, who he has suggested are relatives, withdraw their $500,000 bail guarantee.
Santos, 34, has expressed a willingness to go to jail rather than release the names.
The first-term congressman has pleaded not guilty to a 13-count indictment that charged him with fraud, money laundering and theft of public funds.
Joseph Murray, a lawyer for Santos, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
Santos had appealed a June 6 ruling by a federal magistrate to identify the bailors.
At least 11 media organizations had looked up the names, citing public interest.
According to an official report, the House of Representatives Ethics Committee also wanted the names to determine whether Santos violated that chamber’s rules on gifts.
Murray has said that Santos and his staff had been subject to “media frenzy and hateful attacks” since Santos’ indictment became public on May 9, and that it was “reasonable” to assume that his sureties would receive the same treatment.
After his election, Santos faced widespread criticism, including bipartisan calls to resign, following reports that he had lied about much of his personal and professional background. He has since admitted that he made up large parts of his resume.